Requirements for the Minor
Students pursuing an anthropology minor must complete one of the following options:
Students selecting this option must complete two of the following:
- Biological Anthropology. Satisfied by one fundamentals course from ANTH 104, ANTH 105, or ANTH 304; and two courses from ANTH 340-359, 440-459, 503, 540-559, 640-659.
- Linguistic Anthropology. Satisfied by one introduction course from ANTH 106, ANTH 107, ANTH 320, or ANTH 321; and two courses from ANTH 322-ANTH 339, ANTH 502, ANTH 420-ANTH 439, ANTH 527-ANTH 539, ANTH 620-ANTH 639.
- Sociocultural Anthropology. Satisfied by one course from ANTH 108, ANTH 109, ANTH 160, ANTH 162, ANTH 308, or ANTH 360; and two courses from ANTH 361-ANTH 395, ANTH 501, ANTH 460-ANTH 495, ANTH 560-ANTH 595, ANTH 660-ANTH 695.
- Archaeology. Satisfied by one introductory course from ANTH 110, ANTH 111, or ANTH 310; and ANTH 311-ANTH 319, ANTH 500, ANTH 406-ANTH 419, ANTH 504-ANTH 526, ANTH 604-ANTH 619.
Students selecting this option must complete a total of 6 (six) courses from the following required areas:
- General Anthropology (1 course): Satisfied by ANTH 100/300 (General Anthropology) OR ANTH 201/202 (Culture & Health).
- Anthropology Required Electives (5 courses): Satisfied by up to one introductory course: ANTH 104 (Fundamentals of Physical Anthropology), ANTH 106 (Introduction to Linguistics), ANTH 108 (Introduction to Cultural Anthropology, ANTH 110 (Introduction to Archaeology, or ANTH 160/36 (Varieties of Human Experience);
Satisfied by 4 (four) or more upper-level anthropology electives (300-level or above - all courses numbered from ANTH 313 to ANTH 695.
NOTE: Students do not have to take an introductory course to complete the 5-course "Anthropology Required Electives" area. If students elect to take ANTH 360 (Varieties of Human Experience) as one of these courses, this course is still considered an introductory course and thus cannot count for an upper level elective.
Minor Hours & GPA
While completing all required courses, majors must also meet each of the following hour and grade point average minimum standards:
- Minor Hours: Satisfied by 18 hours of minor courses.
- Minor Hours in Residence: Satisfied by a minimum of 9 hours of junior/senior (300+) hours of KU resident credit in the minor.
- Minor Junior/Senior Hours: Satisfied by a minimum of 12 hours from junior/senior courses (300+) in the major.
- Minor Graduation GPA: Satisfied by a minimum of a 2.0 GPA in all departmental courses in the minor. GPA calculations include all departmental courses in the field of study including Fs and repeated courses. See the Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator.