Research Areas: Medical Anthropology; Global Health, Gender, Sexuality & Kinship, HIV/AIDS, Trauma Care, Road Traffic Accidents, Nigeria, Sub-Saharan Africa
Ph.D., Anthropology, Brown University
A.M., Anthropology, Brown University
B.A., Anthropology , The George Washington University
- Rhine, Kathryn A. n.d. The Unseen Things: HIV, Secrecy, and Wellbeing among Women in Northern Nigeria. Under review by Indiana University Press.
- Rhine, Kathryn A. n.d. She Lives Dangerously: Intimate Ethics, Grammatical Personhood, and HIV in Islamic Northern Nigeria. Under review in Africa Today.
- Rhine, Kathryn A., et al., eds. 2014. Medical Anthropology in Global Africa. Lawrence, KS: University of Kansas Publications in Anthropology.
- Rhine, Kathryn A. 2014. Introduction. In Medical Anthropology in Global Africa, eds. Kathryn A. Rhine, et al., 3-7. Lawrence, KS: University of Kansas Publications in Anthropology.
- Rhine, Kathryn A. 2013 “HIV, Embodied Secrets, and Intimate Labour in Northern Nigeria.” Ethnos (October 31): 1–20. doi:10.1080/00141844.2013.817458. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00141844.2013.817458
- Rhine, Kathryn A. 2011. “Ambiguity, Beauty, and (In)Conspicuous Consumption,” West African Research Association Newsletter, Spring 2011:6.
- Rhine, Kathryn A. 2009. “Dilemmas of Diagnoses: HIV Testing in Northern Nigeria,” Northeastern Anthropological Association Newsletter, 31(4): 2-11. [Reprint of Juried Conference Paper Competition, 1st Place Award]
- Rhine, Kathryn A. 2009. “Support Groups, Marriage, and the Management of Ambiguity among HIV-Positive Women in Northern Nigeria,” Anthropological Quarterly, 23(2): 369-400.
- Topics in Digital Ethnography (Spring 2015)
- Global Medicine, Freshmen Honors Seminar (Fall 2014)
- Global Health (Spring 2011, Spring 2012, Spring 2015)
- Current Cultural Anthropology (Spring 2011, Spring 2012)
- Women, Health, and Healing in Africa (Fall 2010)
- Life and Death in Africa (Spring 2010)
- Introduction to Medical Anthropology (Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Fall 2010, Fall 2011, Fall 2014)
- HIV/AIDS in Anthropological Perspective (Fall 2009, Fall 2011)
- African Studies Association
- Mid-America Alliance for African Studies
- Association for Africanist Anthropology
- American Anthropological Association
- Society for Medical Anthropology
- Society for Cultural Anthropology
- American Ethnological Society
- Society for Urban, National, and Transnational Anthropology
- AIDS and Anthropology Research Group
University of Kansas Affiliations
- Kansas African Studies Center (Faculty Affiliate)
- Institute for Policy and Social Research (Faculty Affiliate)
- Transportation Research Institute
- Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies (Advisory Board Member)
- Center for Global and International Studies (Core Faculty)
- University Honors Program (Freshman Seminar Instructor)